Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hylton Hall: History in Flames, Part I

Note: As I do not have time to adequately research at the moment, consider this a prologue to my next entry. When I return home this evening, I will research the background of Hylton Hall and, hopefully, do a good write-up on the building.

Fire has a fascinating ability to bring people together. Whether gathering around a fire for warmth or to investigate a burning building, people seem naturally drawn to the comfort and destruction that fire brings.

Situated on Lanier Avenue, just across the train tracks from Schoolfield Mill, Hylton Hall was a staple of the Schoolfield scenery for decades. That is, until April 15, 2012. At around 3:35 pm, a fire was reported in the grand building that once, I believed, was home to the administrative offices of Schoolfield Mills.

Shortly after 4:00 pm, I had gone to Mt. View Cemetery to visit my grandparents' grave. As I left, I smelled something burning. I quickly shrugged it off having not seen smoke. Then, as I turned onto Surry Lane, I could see a light cloud of smoke over Maple Lane in Forest Hills and assumed it was just someone having a cook out. That is, until I got on West Main Street to get gas. I could smell smoke and see it billowing from somewhere in Schoolfield and decided to investigate.

I proceeded up West Main, and was greeted by a wall of smoke when I got to the building where the Dan River Outlet Store used to be. As the smoke thinned, I could see cars parked in the old mill parking lot, and a wall of black smoke obscuring Hylton Hall. I pulled over and joined the crowd of people taking pictures and talking. After 10 minutes or so, a police officer came and told everyone to leave because the fire fighters were worried about something exploding and harming people.

I left for about an hour and visited a former neighbor before returning to the scene. The road was closed from Baltimore Avenue up, so I parked and walked to the overpass for another 10 or 15 minutes. The roof of the building appeared to have been destroyed by the fire, but smoke and trees obscured everything.

I don't know the condition of the building, but I doubt it will survive the night...if it's still standing now. As a friend said on Facebook, it "seems a sad testimony of the state of the city." One more old building down, one more memory of Danville's past reduced to smouldering timbers and charred rubble.

So long, Hylton Hall. You won't soon be forgotten.







Firemen breaking in.




Still on fire, but under control enough for firemen to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment