Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Fall and Rise of Downtown

Everyone knows that the past two decades have been less than kind to downtown Danville. Until recently, very little was left besides vagrants and some businesses. Downtown Danville was a shell of its former self. Until recently, that is. Downtown Danville is on the rise again. I suppose, as Kenny Rorer always said "there's nothing new under the sun. History repeats itself."

I missed the ultimate demise of downtown by about three years. When I was born, in 1987, downtown was nothing special. It's where my dad's office was, there were some businesses, and the library was there. It wasn't until I was older that I began to learn about the prominence of downtown everywhere, not just Danville.

1984, the year Piedmont Mall was built, marked the end of an era for downtown. By the 1960s and 1970s, Riverside Drive was booming with business, and there became less and less reason to go downtown. The mall, however, remained downtown. I, personally, can't tell you anything about it other than Belk Legget was there, since even I remember that ghost sign that I believe was painted over when it became lawyer offices some years ago.

It can be said, however, that some businesses have never left. Rippe's and Abe Koplen Clothing have been staples of downtown for decades. Both family owned businesses, and run by wonderful people who have spent years building a client base that have kept them in business year after year.

I suppose, being a graduate of Galileo Magnet High School, I should mention that, technically, Sears was the last to leave in 1993. But to be honest, I was still 5 years old. And all I remember about it was buying a lawn mower from the little fenced in area that ultimately was closed in and became a history and subsequently theatre classroom. 

You see, downtown was the epicenter of the town prior to expansion across the river. It was not just where people worked, but it was where people shopped. Downtown was teeming with theatres, stores, restuarants, everything. Even car dealerships were scattered along the various streets of downtown Danville. George W. Aron, who sold Mercedes, Jeep, and AMC for years was located on Bridge Street and later Floyd Street. The Renault dealership moved to Wilson Street sometime in the 1960s. Buicks or Fords were sold on Craghead Street. Whatever you needed, you could find it downtown. As Petula Clark said: "Downtown everything's waiting for you."

There was even a period of time where (if I recall correctly) due to traffic flow, Main Street from Ridge Street to Craghead was a one way street and three lanes wide. Just as Patton Street, to this day, travels one way to Craghead, Main Street was one way going from the River.

Union Street
Main Street, May 2009

I think that thermometer still works. I've been meaning to go back in the winter and check it.

Rippe's, along with Abe Koplen clothing, have been a staple of downtown for decades.

To this day, ghost signs still adorn buildings which have lately caused much upset in the city. Go down Lynn Street and you'll still see the sign that once adorned Smith Seeds. Look around on many of the buildings, the old downtown mall still has a sign for Belk Leggett (it must have been the old Downtown Mall sign that was painted over). The thermometer that once adorned the side of the Newspaper building still rests on the building.

Smith Seeds
Ok, so I was wrong. As of 2007 the Belk Leggett sign still existed.

 Associated Coin-Ops Ghost Sign

Why was there even any question regarding whether or not these signs can be restored?!

While I don't think it's worth it in this particular entry to get into details about specific buildings, I will say that many of the buildings that adorn Main Street and the surrounding streets have rich, colorful histories that are worthy of entries of their own. Hopefully, one day I'll get to it. If not, I recommend The Postcard History Series: Danville, VA by Clara Garrett Fountain and Images of America: Danville, VA by Todd McGregor Yeatts.

The ending point of this entry, is a good one. Downtown Danville is on the rise, once again. It's probably somewhat of a struggle, but people are investing time and money into business and buildings. Restaurants are opening (I recommend Jake's on Main, by the way) and new stores are opening. What does the future hold for downtown, other than the demise of the Downtowner? The outlook is bright and I, for one, am thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment